You know it's really summer when you go to the beach for the first time in the new season!
It's terrible, we live literally about 5-10 minutes drive from the beach and NEVER go. There are a number of reasons for this:
1) It is ALWAYS windy here. Not just a small refreshing breeze-I am talking "Whip-your-umbrella-up-and-away" kind of wind , the kind that blows buckets full sand into your mouth! The kind that whips up your hair like you've been electrocuted and then back lashes you with it! Very unpleasant.
2) We have two seasons here-winter for 6 months of the year and summer for 6 months of the year-seriously, there is no such thing here as Autumn and Spring! ha ha. (well if we do get them, they are mild and seem to be over when you blink)
3) Hubby hates the water, beach.
4) I'm lazy (there I admitted it!)
5) I hate sand! (you won't catch me dead building sandcastles, I have this thing about sand getting under my nails. I know, so naff, but it gives me the creeps! I am seriously thinking about taking gloves with next time then at least I can build with the kids!
The kids have been begging me and I really have run out of excuses-today the weather is hot, and not a breath of wind so I thought I would surprise them. I fetched them from school, laden with picnic stuff and their cossies and towels (secretly all stashed in the boot) and then told them I had a surprise for them. ha ha, poor tots thought I was taking them to Mac donalds! (*mom is so predictable!*) but not this time!
We really had a nice time....were there for two and a half hours. We went in and the water was divine! Not at all cold like I thought it would be! Took tons of pictures. I was glad to see I wasn't the only mom in the waves, jumping up and down, holding my camera high above my head! ha ha.
so here are some pics from today...
Looking down at myself now..I can see I forgot one important ingredient: sunblock! I look like a lobster! It's already starting to sting....tomorrow is going to hurt!